Monday, May 2, 2011

stealing fries

This is an embarrassing story.  I was at the best hamburger joint in town.  Alone.  There was a man in front of me in the line, waiting for something.  I gave my order, hamburger and fries.  The fries were put in front of me and I did something very bad.  I ate one.  Then I ate another.  It was only then that I noticed the man beside me was breathing weird.

What I should have done was apologize, but he fled with his fries before I could get a word out.  I should have bought him another portion, but I was afraid if I approached him again, he’d think I was after another.  Now I always sing this to myself, whenever I go there.

To the tune of The Gambler, sung by Kenny Rogers.

You never eat your fries
when you’re standing at the counter
because for all that you know
they might belong to him

Chorus
There’ll be time enough for eating
when you’re sure they're yours

3 comments:

Thelma Mariano said...

This is hilarious! What the man should have done is let you have ALL his fries and order himself another. But maybe that would be too much to hope for.

Seriously, though, everyone knows fries are addictive and no one can stop at one. Even if they're not yours.

Maggie Jagger said...

I never sneaked one after that. Kenny is keeping me straight. Still embarrassed!

Maureen Fisher said...

Every time I listen to 'The Gambler', I'll think of your fries.